Saturday, April 16, 2011

Storage Jars

So I have an obsession with collecting jars and vases.  I don't know why I do it, I just do.  My cabinets are full of them.  My husband at one point convinced me to stop saving the glass POM juice and now I am sad they don't sell the juice in glasses any more.  I should have never listen to him!  Anyways, so I have decided to put some of these jars to use since I am setting up my crafting room.  I need places to store all my little decorations I do for my tutus that I make.  This will be my first, but definitely not last, tutorial.  

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  • Jars, with lids
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Scissors 
  • Mod Podge glue

WHAT TO DO



  1. Take the lid of the jar and lay it on the white side of the scrapbook paper you have decided to use as your decor.  (The picture shows the decorated side, but remember to glue the white side of the paper to the surface of the lid). Cut an additional inch around the lid so that you can fold the paper on the sides of the lid.  
  2. Once you have cut out your paper, take a paintbrush or sponge and brush mod podge glue on the top of the jar lid.  Lay your piece of paper down onto the glue.  Do not put glue on sides yet.

  3. Once the glue on the top is dry.  Cut the excess paper into strips all the way around the lid.  This will allow you to fold the paper down and glue the sides of the lid without getting bumps or weird folds.  
  4. You can now put glue on either the excess paper or directly on the side of the lids.  I prefer to glue the paper that way when you fold the paper down the sides and into the lid, you won't have to brush more glue on the inside of the lid.  Allow glue to dry.  
  5. Once dry, I like to brush a thin layer of mod podge glue on the paper to seal it.  You can also brush a clear acrylic sealer after you apply the mod podge sealing coat.  
  6. Depending on the size of the jar, measure another piece of scrapbook paper and cut it in a strip.  (Mine measured about 2 1/2 inches).  Write with a Sharpie marker the item being stored in the jar onto the strip of paper.  Mine says "Rhinestones".  Turn paper over and brush on mod podge glue onto the white side of the paper.  Attach paper to the middle of the jar and hold for a few seconds to make sure it sticks.  You now have a place to store all those little items that get lost at the bottom of your craft drawers.  And you have saved a jar from cluttering up our landfills! 


Here Is My Jar



No comments:

Post a Comment